“The idea is not to live forever but to create something that will.” – Andy Warhol
THE ORCHARD HOUSE
Constructed in 1174, the Orchard House estate sits on two and a half acres on the Mission’s southeastern property and is generally believed to be one of the oldest Adobe structures in California. Features include the Orchard House itself, the Machado Farm House, gardens, and more. While commonly called the Orchard House, it’s also known as the Mission Carmel Pear Orchardist’s House. Over the last century, the property has transformed a great deal.
During the Great Depression the 3,457 square foot Orchard House was used as the Mission Tea House. Today the historic home is in serious need of repair. The farm house is also in disrepair due to years of neglect and deterioration. The roof, flooring and more are in dire need.